Who requires a Visa?
What documents will be required?
Time required to issue a Visa
What is the cost of a Visa?
How long is the Visa valid for?
Other information
Embassy contact information
Learn Japanese in Japan


Who requires a visa?
Depending on the length of stay and nationality, either a tourist or student visa may be required:

Nationals of the following countries may not require visas for stays up to 6 months:
Austria,Germany,Ireland,Liechtenstein,Switzerland,United Kingdom,Mexico.

No visa may be required for stays of 90 days or less:
Singapore, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macao, Canada, U.S.A., Argentina, Bahamas, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Rep., El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Suriname, Uruguay, Barbados, Bulgaria, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Andorra, Czech Rep., Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Monaco, Poland, Australia, New Zealand, Israel, Turkey, Lesotho, Mauritius, Tunisia.

14 days or less:

Visas are highly recommended for nationals ofMalaysiaandPeru.

Temporarily suspended:

Note: Nationals of countries that have concluded visa exemption arrangements with Japan for stays of up to six months in principle are granted permission to stay in Japan for 90 days at the time of landing. Nationals of these countries who wish to stay in Japan for more than 90 days must apply at their nearest immigration authority in Japan for an extension of their period of stay.
Whether or not they hold a visa, visitors who do not possess visible means of support for their stay, onward or return tickets and other documents for their next destination may be refused entry.

What documents will be required?
The following documents must be submitted whatever the purpose of the visit:
Two 45mm x 45mm passport-type photos taken within the previous six months (stateless persons must submit three photos)
Two official visa application forms, available at the embassy or consulate
documents certifying the purpose of the visit (see the accompanying table)
A copy of a certificate of admission from the educational institution where the person concerned intends to study.
documents certifying that the person concerned can defray all expenses incurred during the stay inJapan.

Time required to issue visa:
The period required from the visa application to the issuance of the visa is approximately 5 working days.

Note: In the case of applications that require inquiries to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (for example, applications for work or study visas that are not accompanied by a Certificate of Eligibility), it usually takes two to three months or even longer, so in such cases please allow plenty of leeway

What is the cost of a visa?
Single-entry: 5,000 yen / US$60
Double or multiple-entry: 6,000 yen / US$50

Note: Visa fees vary depending on nationality. Check with the nearest Consulate for further information

How long is the visa valid for?
Temporary Visitor visas for tourism purposes are normally valid for a stay of 14 days up to 3 months (extensions for another 3 months granted at the discretion of Immigration Department in Japan), and Employment/Working visas (including intra-company transfer visas) for a period of up to 3 years.
Multiple-entry visas can be issued to business travelers, etc. The period of validity of these visas is from 1 to 5 years, and these visas can be used on any number of occasions during their period of validity.

Double-entry visa for transit valid up to 4 months.

Other information:
Any foreigner wishing to enter or land in Japan must possess a valid passport and a student visa obtained from an embassy or consulate.
A student visa cannot be acquired after arriving in Japan.
It is not permitted to work inJapan under a student visa.

Nationals who are permitted to stay for 6 months will initially be granted a stay of up to 3 months and may then apply, while in Japan, to the local Immigration Department for an extension of a further 3 months.
Such extensions are at the discretion of the immigration authorities inJapan and may not be granted. For further information contact the Consulate (or Consular Section at Embassy).

Embassy contact information:
Contact nearest Japanese Embassy for more information.